Friday, October 7, 2011

Republican Candidates, part II

Jon Huntsman - Ummm, well, he just seems awkward. He keeps name dropping Utah, which means nothing to anybody outside of Mormondom. He also comes off as ill prepared on the topics and seems to have some desire to ostracize the far right. While I'm not generally a fan of the far right, this strategy is perplexing. One doesn't need to agree with all the crazy ideas thrown around out there, but there's no need to actively campaign against the very people whose votes you're trying to get. His attempts at humor are also awkward - sort of like Romney in '08. Finally, when he does seem to connect with the crowd, he doesn't build on it. Instead, he sticks to the same point for far too long, making everybody feel strangely self-conscious. Overall, he needs to stop being invited to the debates as he detracts from the time given to more compelling candidates. Sorry Mr. Huntsman.

Gary Johnson - Here's another awkward candidate, although his attempts at humor aren't as flat-footed as Huntsman's. Mr. Johnson is a former governor of New Mexico with libertarian leaning opinions. While his presence in the campaign is a testament to the growing influence of libertarian thought within the Republican Party, it's also a little redundant. Ron Paul has been the standard bearer of libertarian ideology within the Republican Party for decades and is now making as serious a run for President as he's ever made. Johnson is less effective in touting the libertarian message than Mr. Paul and to the extent that his campaign gains any traction, he will simply be siphoning votes from Paul, thereby lessening the influence of their ideology. Perhaps Johnson thinks that he should be the next libertarian heartthrob after Ron Paul retires? Other than that, I simply don't understand his presence in the field.

Ron Paul - The libertarian heartthrob himself! Well, I don't always agree with him, but there is something refreshing about a candidate who is so consistent and so unabashedly himself. Who else would wear such ill fitting suits while campaigning for President of the US? He has supported the same positions for decades and is currently enjoying something near to a groundswell of support. He has always had his ardent followers, but more and more people seem to be taking him seriously, myself included. Like I said, I don't always agree with him, but his candidacy would shake up the political calculus to such an extent that it could reshape the entirety of American politics - especially if he were to win. I find that prospect appealing, since it increasingly seems like the current two party system doesn't actually represent anybody. Would he be a good president? I don't know, but like I said, a Ron Paul presidency could shake up American politics for generations, which just might be a positive development. The verdict is still out on Ron Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment